Full performer name: Bill Evans Trio/Lee Konitz/Warne Marsh.
Bill Evans Trio: Bill Evans (piano); Eddie Gomez (bass); Eliot Zigmund (drums).
Additional personnel: Lee Konitz (alto saxophone); Warne Marsh (tenor saxophone).
Recorded at Fantasy Studios, Berkeley, California on February 28 and March 1 & 2, 1977. Includes liner notes by Helen Keane.
Digitally remastered by Phil De Lancie (1992, Fantasy Studios, Berkeley, California).
Personnel: Bill Evans (piano); Lee Konitz (alto saxophone); Warne Marsh (tenor saxophone); Eliot Zigmund (drums).
Recording information: Fantasy Studios, Berkeley, CA (02/28/1977-03/02/1977).
Evans first performed with saxophonists Lee Konitz and Warne Marshe in 1959, fresh from his legendary work with Miles Davis. Though it took nearly two decades before the three collaborated again, this 1977 effort resounds with spontaneity and freshness as well as a warmth and familiarity that makes for some rewarding interaction. The cool West coast sound of Konitz blends well with Evans' sensitive, sophisticated harmonies. When longtime Evans bassist Eddie Gomez makes his presence felt, as on his solo for "Eiderdown," he proves himself to be the essential active ingredient that prods Evans along to a more visceral interplay with the two saxophonists. Three previously unreleased alternate takes, chosen by original album producer Helen Keane, spice up the package.
ReviewsThere are currently no reviews, be the first one!
- Live at the Half Note (Konitz, Lee)
- The Complete Tony Bennett/Bill Evans Recordings (Bennett, Tony (Vocals))
- Complete Recordings (Scott, Bill Evans & Tony)
- Marian McPartland's Piano Jazz with Guest Bill Eva (McPartland, Marian)
- Legendary Sessions (Baker, Chet (Trumpet/Vocals/Com)
- Piano Four Hands (Eca, Luiz)
- Chet: Lyrical Trumpet of Chet Baker [Bonus Tracks] (Baker, Chet (Trumpet/Vocals/Com)
- What's New (Steig, Jeremy)
- Twin Bill: Two Piano Music of Bill Evans [Digipak] (Pasqua, Alan)
- Twin Bill: Two Piano Music of Bill Evans (Pasqua, Alan)
- Out of the Cool/Into the Hot (Evans, Gil)
- Complete Recordings [Remastered] (Motian, Paul)
- The Mello Sound of Don Elliott/Listen To The Music (Elliott, Don (Trumpet))
- Great Jazz Producers: Orrin Keepnews & Bill Grauer (Baker, Chet (Trumpet/Vocals/Com)