Personnel includes: Robert Mazurek (trumpet); Eric Alexander (saxophone).
Recorded in Chicago, Illinois in 1995.
Personnel: Rob Mazurek (trumpet); Eric Alexander (tenor saxophone); Randolph Tressler (piano); John Webber (bass instrument); George Fludas (drums).
Rob Mazurek's second of three CDs for Hep is a solid hard bop affair, featuring the then-rising star Eric Alexander on tenor sax. The trumpeter covers a lot of familiar turf, beginning a tantalizing "Angel Eyes" in which he utilizes a Harmon mute and benefits from pianist Randy Tressler's imaginative approach to this standard. The rollicking, bluesy treatment of "Deep Purple" proves refreshing, though the dreamy take of "Ev'ry Time We Say Goodbye" breaks no new ground. Alexander shines as a foil for Mazurek in bassist John Webber's driving "Nomad" and the leader's explosive "Badlands." By the late '90s, Mazurek had turned his interest away from hard bop, but this early effort has stood the test of time rather well. ~ Ken Dryden
ReviewsThere are currently no reviews, be the first one!
- Stellar Pulsations (Rob Mazurek Pulsar Quartet)
- The Space Between (Rob Mazurek Exploding Star Elec)
- Return the Tides: Ascension Suite and Holy Ghost (Black Cube SP)
- Matter Anti-Matter: Sixty Three Moons of Jupiter (Exploding Star Orchestra)
- Galactic Parables, Vol. 1 [Digipak] (Exploding Star Orchestra)