- Marjana Lipovsek (Mezzo Soprano)
- Mihaela Ungureanu (Mezzo Soprano)
- Davide Damiani (Baritone)
- Peter Koves (Voice)
- Michael Roider (Tenor)
- Goran Simic (Bass)
- Walter Fink (Bass)
- Josef Hopferweiser (Voice)
- Ruxandra Donose (Mezzo Soprano)
- Monte Pederson (Bass Baritone)
- Egils Silins (Bass Baritone)
Notes & Reviews:
The Romanian composer George Enescu was one of the most fascinating and versatile musicians in the first half of the twentieth century. His only opera, Oepide, was the object of his intermittent attention over some fifteen years and was eventually given its premiere at the Paris Opera in 1936, when it won great success. Unlike the play by Sophocles, from which Enescu drew his inspiration, its first and last acts trace the story from the birth of Oedipus to his death, with the dramatic events at the heart of the tragedy in the central two acts. The scoring shows the greatest originality, while the musical language is unique to Enescu, with its shifting harmonies and thematic transformations.
ReviewsThere are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Petitgirard: Joseph Merrick, The Elephant Man
American Opera Classics - Adams: I Was Looking... / Simon
Alwyn: Symphonies no 1 & 3 / Lloyd-Jones, et al
Weinberger: Svanda Dudák / Reynolds, Robavs, et al
Alwyn: Symphony no 4, Sinfonietta / Lloyd-Jones, et al
Weber/Mahler: Die drei Pintos / Arrivabeni, Holzer, et al
Rossini: Torvaldo e Dorliska / de Marchi, Cigna, et al
Opera in English - Berg: Lulu / Daniel, Saffer, Perry, et al
Radu Lupu Edition - Brahms: Piano Concerto no 1, etc
Works DetailsEnescu, George [Composer] : Oedipe, opera, Op. 23
- Performers: Marjana Lipovsek (Mezzo Soprano); Mihaela Ungureanu (Mezzo Soprano); Davide Damiani (Baritone); Peter Koves (Voice); Michael Roider (Tenor); Goran Simic (Bass); Walter Fink (Bass); Josef Hopferweiser (Voice); Ruxandra Donose (Mezzo Soprano); Monte Pederson (Bass Baritone); Egils Silins (Bass Baritone)
- Conductor: Michael Gielen
- Ensemble: Vienna Boys' Choir
- Notes: Composition written: ??/??/1921-04/27/1931.
- Running Time: 4 min. 28 sec.
- Period Time: Romantic
- Form: Opera/Operetta
- Studio/Live: Live