1 800 222 6872

Franz Liszt - Works for Violin & Piano / Mauro Tortorelli, violin; Constantino Catena, piano

Album Summary

>Liszt, Franz : Duo (Sonata) sur des thèmes polonais, for violin & piano in C sharp minor, S. 127 (LW D3)
>Liszt, Franz : Benedictus & Offertorium aus der ungarischen Krönungsmesse, for violin & piano, S. 381 (LW D10)
>Liszt, Franz : Grand Duo concertant sur la Romance de "Le Marin" (I & II), for violin & piano, S. 128 & S. 700h (LW
>Liszt, Franz : Epithalam zu Eduard Reményis Vermählungsfeier, for violin & piano, S. 129 (LW D12)
>Liszt, Franz : Hungarian Rhapsody, for violin & piano no 12 in C sharp minor, S. 379a
>Liszt, Franz : Romance oubliée, for viola (or violin, or cello) & piano, S. 132 (LW D16)
>Liszt, Franz : Die drei Zigeuner, for violin & piano, S. 383 (LW D8)
>Liszt, Franz : La notte, for violin & piano, S. 377a (LW D9)
>Liszt, Franz : La lugubre gondola for Cello and Piano, S 134
>Liszt, Franz : Elegie I, for violin, piano & harmonium (ad lib), S. 130ter (LW D13c)
>Liszt, Franz : Elegy no 2 for Cello and Piano, S 131
>Liszt, Franz : Waltzes (2), for violin & piano, S. 126b (LW D1)
>Liszt, Franz : Die Zelle in Nonnenwerth, for violin or cello & piano, S. 382
Performers Composer

Notes & Reviews:

Italian violinist Mauro Tortorelli was the first prizewinner of the Isola di Capri competition and a finalist in the G.B. Viotti international violin competition. He has been invited to perform as a soloist with orchestras in Italy, Ireland and Austria. He teaches at the Music Conservatory in Potenza, Italy.

American Record Guide, January/February 2013
These markedly Italian readings cast a completely different light on Liszt's exquisite (and rarely recorded) violin and piano music than the fine Hungarian duo of Barnabas Kelemen and Gergely Boganyi (J/F 2001). Franz Liszt was a musical citizen of the world who spent a lot of time in Italy and wrote a lot of Italianinspired music. Since I am neither Hungarian nor Italian, I cannot say which readings I like better (I love them both) or which approach to Liszt is more appropriate; so I will say, viva la difference, and them both for their expressiveness, their national flair, their brilliance, and their virtuosity.



Reviews

There are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Login or Create an Account to write a review

Works Details

>Liszt, Franz : Duo (Sonata) sur des thèmes polonais, for violin & piano in C sharp minor, S. 127 (LW D3)
  • Performers: Mauro Tortorelli (Violin); Constantino Catena (Piano)
  • Running Time: 6 min. 57 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1835

>Liszt, Franz : Benedictus & Offertorium aus der ungarischen Krönungsmesse, for violin & piano, S. 381 (LW D10)
  • Performers: Mauro Tortorelli (Violin); Constantino Catena (Piano)
  • Running Time: 11 min. 50 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Form: Choral
  • Written: 1869

>Liszt, Franz : Grand Duo concertant sur la Romance de "Le Marin" (I & II), for violin & piano, S. 128 & S. 700h (LW
  • Performers: Mauro Tortorelli (Violin); Constantino Catena (Piano)
  • Running Time: 15 min. 26 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1835-1849

>Liszt, Franz : Epithalam zu Eduard Reményis Vermählungsfeier, for violin & piano, S. 129 (LW D12)
  • Performers: Constantino Catena (Piano); Mauro Tortorelli (Violin)
  • Running Time: 7 min. 2 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1872

>Liszt, Franz : Hungarian Rhapsody, for violin & piano no 12 in C sharp minor, S. 379a
  • Performers: Mauro Tortorelli (Violin); Constantino Catena (Piano)
  • Running Time: 12 min. 52 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1850s

>Liszt, Franz : Romance oubliée, for viola (or violin, or cello) & piano, S. 132 (LW D16)
  • Performers: Mauro Tortorelli (Violin); Constantino Catena (Piano)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 40 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1880

>Liszt, Franz : Die drei Zigeuner, for violin & piano, S. 383 (LW D8)
  • Performers: Mauro Tortorelli (Violin); Constantino Catena (Piano)
  • Running Time: 8 min. 53 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 08/1864

>Liszt, Franz : La notte, for violin & piano, S. 377a (LW D9)
  • Performers: Mauro Tortorelli (Violin); Constantino Catena (Piano)
  • Running Time: 11 min. 29 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1864-1865

>Liszt, Franz : La lugubre gondola for Cello and Piano, S 134
  • Performers: Constantino Catena (Piano); Mauro Tortorelli (Violin)
  • Running Time: 8 min. 54 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1882

>Liszt, Franz : Elegie I, for violin, piano & harmonium (ad lib), S. 130ter (LW D13c)
  • Performers: Mauro Tortorelli (Violin); Constantino Catena (Piano)
  • Running Time: 5 min. 53 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1874

>Liszt, Franz : Elegy no 2 for Cello and Piano, S 131
  • Performers: Mauro Tortorelli (Violin); Constantino Catena (Piano)
  • Running Time: 5 min. 48 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1877-1878

>Liszt, Franz : Waltzes (2), for violin & piano, S. 126b (LW D1)
  • Performers: Mauro Tortorelli (Violin); Constantino Catena (Piano)
  • Running Time: 1 min. 5 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Form: Waltz
  • Written: 1823

>Liszt, Franz : Die Zelle in Nonnenwerth, for violin or cello & piano, S. 382
  • Performers: Mauro Tortorelli (Violin); Constantino Catena (Piano)
  • Running Time: 7 min. 28 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: by 1886