Personnel: Zoot Sims (soprano & tenor saxophones); Joe Pass (guitar).
Recorded in March and June 1982. Originally released on Pablo (2310-879).
Although guitarist Joe Pass recorded many unaccompanied solo albums, he made relatively few dates as part of a duo. This CD reissue of a session with tenor-saxophonist Joe Pass works quite well because Zoot Sims was a natural swinger who did not need a full rhythm section to push him. His playing on the selections (mainly standards including "Dindi," "Poor Butterfly," "Pennies From Heaven" and "I Hadn't Anyone Till You") is as heated and lyrical as usual. Pass also warms up quickly to the situation (Sims must have been easy to accompany) and takes many fine solos of his own. The pair collaborated on the opening "Blues for 2" and "Takeoff" which wraps up the highly enjoyable set. ~ Scott Yanow
ReviewsThere are currently no reviews, be the first one!
- Complete Live Recordings (Stitt, Sonny)
- Saxes Inc (Hawkins, Coleman)
- Saxes Inc./Trombone Scene (Hawkins, Coleman)
- Moonlight in Vermont (Smith, Johnny)
- Morning Fun (Cohn, Al)
- Basie & Zoot (Basie, Count)
- A Gasser! (Ross, Annie)
- The Brothers (Getz, Stan (Sax))
- Brothers [Bonus Track] [Remastered] (Getz, Stan (Sax))
- Body and Soul [Pony Canyon] (Cohn, Al)
- Al and Zoot (Cohn, Al)