1 800 222 6872

Dmitry Shostakovich - A Portrait

Album Summary

>Shostakovich, Dmitri : Prelude & Fugue for piano no 1 in C major, Op. 87/1
>Shostakovich, Dmitri : Fantastic Dances (3) for Piano, Op. 5
>Shostakovich, Dmitri : Symphony no 1 in F minor, Op. 10
>Shostakovich, Dmitri : The Golden Age (as used in the film "Testimony")
>Shostakovich, Dmitri : The Bolt, suite from the ballet, Op. 27a
>Shostakovich, Dmitri : Prelude for piano, in E flat minor ("Zoya prelude"), Op. 34/14
>Shostakovich, Dmitri : Symphony no 4 in C minor, Op. 43
>Shostakovich, Dmitri : Symphony no 5 in D minor, Op. 47
>Shostakovich, Dmitri : Quintet for piano & strings in G minor, Op. 57
>Shostakovich, Dmitri : Symphony no 8 in C minor, Op. 65
>Shostakovich, Dmitri : Trio for Piano and Strings no 2 in E minor, Op. 67
>Shostakovich, Dmitri : Symphony no 9 in E flat major, Op. 70
>Shostakovich, Dmitri : Concerto for Violin no 1 in A minor, Op. 77 (published as Op. 99)
>Word, Spoken : Excerpt from a radio address by Shostakovich
>Shostakovich, Dmitri : Prelude & Fugue for piano no 13 in F sharp major, Op. 87/13
>Shostakovich, Dmitri : Symphony no 10 in E minor, Op. 93
>Shostakovich, Dmitri : Gadfly Suite, Op. 97a
>Shostakovich, Dmitri : Concerto for Piano no 2 in F major, Op. 102
>Shostakovich, Dmitri : Quartet for Strings no 8 in C minor, Op. 110
>Shostakovich, Dmitri : Symphony no 13 in B flat minor, Op. 113 "Babi Yar"
>Shostakovich, Dmitri : Hamlet, film score, Op. 116 (unrelated to incidental music)
>Shostakovich, Dmitri : Quartet for Strings no 12 in D flat major, Op. 133
>Shostakovich, Dmitri : Symphony no 14 for soprano, bass, strings & percussion, Op. 135
>Shostakovich, Dmitri : Symphony no 15 in A major, Op. 141
>Shostakovich, Dmitri : Sonata for Viola and Piano, Op. 147
>Shostakovich, Dmitri : Prelude & Fugue for piano no 24 in D minor, Op. 87/24
Performers Conductors Ensembles Composers

Notes & Reviews:

"Is this a CD set with substantially expanded album notes or a book with two accompanying CDs? The booklet contains an excellent monograph by Richard Whitehouse that concisely sketches the life, times, and art of the composer with insight and clarity in 92 jewel-case sized pages. References to the two dozen music cues on the CDs, drawn from Naxos's vast catalog, are interspersed at appropriate spots in the narrative. The musical excerpts are not bleeding fragments but whole movements, so the listener at least gets to experience the logic and progression of largely self-contained musical units. Whitehouse does an outstanding job of packing the maximum of information into the short booklet... The booklet also lists the catalog numbers of the Naxos releases containing the complete works to help the listener embark on further exploration of the music." -ARG



Reviews

There are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Login or Create an Account to write a review
 

Also Purchased



Previous


Next


Works Details

>Shostakovich, Dmitri : Prelude & Fugue for piano no 1 in C major, Op. 87/1
  • Performer: Dmitry Shostakovich (Piano)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 49 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1950-1951

>Shostakovich, Dmitri : Fantastic Dances (3) for Piano, Op. 5 :: Fantastic Dance in C, Op. 5/3
  • Performer: Konstantin Scherbakov (Piano)
  • Notes: Composition written: 1920.
  • Running Time: 1 min. 8 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1920

>Shostakovich, Dmitri : Symphony no 1 in F minor, Op. 10 :: Movement 1
  • Conductor: Ladislav Slovák
  • Notes: Composition written: 1923-25.
  • Running Time: 8 min. 17 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Form: Orchestral
  • Written: 1923-1925

>Shostakovich, Dmitri : The Golden Age (as used in the film "Testimony") :: no 2
  • Conductor: Christopher Lyndon-Gee
  • Ensemble: New Zealand Symphony Orchestra
  • Notes: Composition written: 1930.
  • Running Time: 9 min. 13 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1930

>Shostakovich, Dmitri : The Bolt, suite from the ballet, Op. 27a :: no 8
  • Conductor: Dmitry Yablonsky
  • Ensemble: Russian State Symphony Orchestra
  • Notes: Composition written: 1933.
  • Running Time: 3 min. 30 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1933

>Shostakovich, Dmitri : Prelude for piano, in E flat minor ("Zoya prelude"), Op. 34/14
  • Performer: Konstantin Scherbakov (Piano)
  • Notes: Composition written: 1932-33.
  • Running Time: 2 min. 17 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1932-1933

>Shostakovich, Dmitri : Symphony no 4 in C minor, Op. 43 :: Movement 2
  • Conductor: Ladislav Slovák
  • Notes: Composition written: 1935-36.
  • Running Time: 8 min. 49 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Form: Orchestral
  • Written: 1935-1936

>Shostakovich, Dmitri : Symphony no 5 in D minor, Op. 47 :: Movement 4
  • Conductor: Ladislav Slovák
  • Running Time: 11 min. 37 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Form: Orchestral
  • Written: 1937

>Shostakovich, Dmitri : Quintet for piano & strings in G minor, Op. 57 :: Movement 3
  • Performer: Boris Berman (Piano)
  • Ensemble: Vermeer Quartet
  • Running Time: 3 min. 28 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Form: Chamber Music
  • Written: 1940

>Shostakovich, Dmitri : Symphony no 8 in C minor, Op. 65 :: Movement 3
  • Conductor: Ladislav Slovák
  • Notes: Composition written: 1943.
  • Running Time: 6 min. 48 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Form: Orchestral
  • Written: 1943

>Shostakovich, Dmitri : Trio for Piano and Strings no 2 in E minor, Op. 67 :: Movement 2
  • Ensemble: Stockholm Arts Trio
  • Running Time: 2 min. 58 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Form: Chamber Music
  • Written: 1944

>Shostakovich, Dmitri : Symphony no 9 in E flat major, Op. 70 :: Movement 1
  • Conductor: Ladislav Slovák
  • Notes: Composition written: 1945.
  • Running Time: 5 min. 23 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Form: Orchestral
  • Written: 1945

>Shostakovich, Dmitri : Concerto for Violin no 1 in A minor, Op. 77 (published as Op. 99) :: Movement 3
  • Performer: Ilya Kaler (Violin)
  • Conductor: Antoni Wit
  • Ensemble: Polish Radio Symphony Orchestra Katowice
  • Notes: Composition written: 1947-48.
  • Running Time: 10 min. 5 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Form: Concerto
  • Written: 1947-1948

>Word, Spoken : Excerpt from a radio address by Shostakovich
  • Period Time: Post Romantic

>Shostakovich, Dmitri : Prelude & Fugue for piano no 13 in F sharp major, Op. 87/13 :: Prelude in F sharp major, Op. 87/13a
  • Performer: Konstantin Scherbakov (Piano)
  • Running Time: 1 min. 59 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1950-1951

>Shostakovich, Dmitri : Symphony no 10 in E minor, Op. 93 :: Movement 4
  • Conductor: Ladislav Slovák
  • Notes: Composition written: 1953.
  • Running Time: 13 min. 42 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Form: Orchestral
  • Written: 1953

>Shostakovich, Dmitri : Gadfly Suite, Op. 97a :: Movement 3
  • Conductor: Theodore Kuchar
  • Ensemble: Ukrainian National Symphony Orchestra
  • Notes: Composition written: 1955.
  • Running Time: 2 min. 49 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Form: Film Score
  • Written: 1955

>Shostakovich, Dmitri : Concerto for Piano no 2 in F major, Op. 102 :: Movement 2
  • Performer: Michael Houston (Piano)
  • Conductor: Christopher Lyndon-Gee
  • Ensemble: New Zealand Symphony Orchestra
  • Running Time: 6 min. 45 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Form: Concerto
  • Written: 1957

>Shostakovich, Dmitri : Quartet for Strings no 8 in C minor, Op. 110 :: Movement 5
  • Notes: Composition written: 1960.
  • Running Time: 3 min. 50 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1960

>Shostakovich, Dmitri : Symphony no 13 in B flat minor, Op. 113 "Babi Yar" :: Movement 2
  • Performer: Peter Mikulás (Bass)
  • Conductor: Ladislav Slovák
  • Running Time: 7 min. 44 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Form: Orchestral
  • Written: 1962

>Shostakovich, Dmitri : Hamlet, film score, Op. 116 (unrelated to incidental music) :: Movement 4
  • Conductor: Dmitry Yablonsky
  • Ensemble: Russian Philharmonic Symphony Orchestra
  • Notes: Composition written: 1963-64.
  • Running Time: 3 min. 46 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Form: Film Score
  • Written: 1963-1964

>Shostakovich, Dmitri : Quartet for Strings no 12 in D flat major, Op. 133 :: Movement 1
  • Notes: Composition written: 1968.
  • Running Time: 6 min. 45 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1968

>Shostakovich, Dmitri : Symphony no 14 for soprano, bass, strings & percussion, Op. 135 :: Movement 9
  • Performer: Peter Mikulás (Bass)
  • Conductor: Ladislav Slovák
  • Notes: Composition written: 1969.
  • Running Time: 4 min. 58 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Form: Vocal
  • Written: 1969

>Shostakovich, Dmitri : Symphony no 15 in A major, Op. 141 :: Movement 1
  • Conductor: Ladislav Slovák
  • Running Time: 8 min. 31 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Form: Orchestral
  • Written: 1971

>Shostakovich, Dmitri : Sonata for Viola and Piano, Op. 147 :: Movement 1
  • Performers: Annette Bartholdy (Viola); Julius Drake (Piano)
  • Notes: Composition written: 1975.
  • Running Time: 11 min. 21 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1975

>Shostakovich, Dmitri : Prelude & Fugue for piano no 24 in D minor, Op. 87/24 :: Fugue in D minor, Op. 87/24b
  • Performer: Dmitry Shostakovich (Piano)
  • Running Time: 7 min. 26 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1950-1951