Personnel: Lee Konitz (alto saxophone); Enrico Rava (trumpet); Massimo Manzi (drums).
Liner Note Author: Paolo Piangiarelli.
Recording information: Murec Studio, Milan, Italy (02/10/1997).
Photographer: Paolo Piangiarelli.
The dry-toned and very individual-sounding alto saxophonist Lee Konitz recorded frequently for the Italian label Philology during the 1990s, and this quartet session with avant-garde trumpeter Enrico Rava, bassist Rosario Bonaccorso, and drummer Massimo Manzi is a first-rate affair, though primarily in a straight-ahead setting. On most tracks, the co-leaders generally take turns exchanging solos of no more than a chorus or two in length, with pulsing but never dull support underneath by Bonaccorso and Manzi. "What's New" is played as a quasi-bossa nova, and "Cherokee" becomes a catchy samba; while "Cherokee" and "I'll Remember April" follow more predictable routes, though both are played with a lot of passion. Each musician also contributes an original: Konitz supplies an inventive march in which his alto and Rava's muted horn share a unison line before the exciting solos begin, while Rava's title track has a somewhat wandering theme but some of his best playing on the date. This very enjoyable CD is warmly recommended. ~ Ken Dryden
ReviewsThere are currently no reviews, be the first one!
- BargaLee (Orchestra BargaJazz)
- Soliloque (Imm, Paul)
- Music of Konitz (Theberge, Francois)
- Open Hearts (Bill Elgart)
- Play Rava (Rava, Enrico)
- Live at the Village Vanguard (Lee Konitz New Quartet)
- Jugendstil II [Digipak] (Cheek, Chris)
- Knowing Lee [Digipak] (Liebman, David)
- Owl's Talk [Digipak] (Peacock, Gary)
- Owl's Talk (Peacock, Gary)
- Enfants Terribles: Live at the Blue Note [Digipak] (Peacock, Gary)
- Costumes Are Mandatory (Iverson, Ethan)
- First Meeting: Live in London, Vol. 1 [Digipak] (Janisch, Michael)
- Live at Laren (Lee Konitz Nonet)
- Konitz Meets Mulligan (Mulligan, Gerry)
- Conception (Davis, Miles)
- Cross-Currents (Evans, Bill (Piano))
- Thingin' (Friedman, Don)