/Tiziana Ghiglioni/Stefano Battaglia.
Liner Note Authors: Paolo Piangiarelli; Stefano Battaglia.
Recording information: Barigozzi Studio, Milan, Italy (11/11/1992).
Photographer: Pieroni Carlo.
Lee Konitz's prolific recordings for Philology are wide ranging, with no two sessions alike, and this free form date with singer Tiziana Ghiglioni and pianist Stefano Battaglia is no exception. Alternating between alto and soprano saxes, he is playing at his usual high level throughout the date. Ghiglioni begins "Lover Man" unaccompanied with a fragile tone that grows more so as Konitz's light toned alto sax joins her. Battaglia's bittersweet arrangement of "My Foolish Heart" features Konitz's haunting soprano sax set the mood before Ghiglioni finally makes her entrance. The moody reharmonization of the master take of "My Funny Valentine" is yet another highlight, while the alternate is more abstract. The softness of Ghiglioni's vocals invite comparison to Meredith D'Ambrosio, so it will probably be difficult for this enjoyable singer to achieve widespread attention, but her work is worth exploring. Producer Paolo Piangiarelli proves to be a discographer's dream as he not only labels which take was used for each song but also indicates when a solo was substituted from an alternate take. ~ Ken Dryden
ReviewsThere are currently no reviews, be the first one!
- BargaLee (Orchestra BargaJazz)
- Music of Konitz (Theberge, Francois)
- Open Hearts (Bill Elgart)
- Play Rava (Rava, Enrico)
- Live at the Village Vanguard (Lee Konitz New Quartet)
- Jugendstil II [Digipak] (Cheek, Chris)
- Knowing Lee [Digipak] (Liebman, David)
- Owl's Talk [Digipak] (Peacock, Gary)
- Enfants Terribles: Live at the Blue Note [Digipak] (Peacock, Gary)
- Costumes Are Mandatory (Iverson, Ethan)
- Live at Laren (Lee Konitz Nonet)
- Konitz Meets Mulligan (Mulligan, Gerry)
- Conception (Davis, Miles)
- Cross-Currents (Evans, Bill (Piano))
- Thingin' (Friedman, Don)