- Richard Adeney (Flute)
- John Bacon (Violin)
- William Bennett (Flute)
- Michael Dobson (Oboe d'amore)
- Richard Dobson (Flute)
- Roger Garland (Violin)
- Neil Jenkins
- Felicity Lott
- Stephen Roberts (Horn)
- Adam Skeaping (Bass Rebec)
- Charles Tunnell (Cello)
- Alexa Turpin (Flute)
- Lorraine Wood (Oboe d'amore)
Notes & Reviews:
This much loved English language performance of Bach's great setting of the Passion of Christ makes a welcome return to the Decca catalog. Outstanding vocal soloists include Welsh tenor Robert Tear as the Evangelist, Felicity Lott as soprano soloist and the alto Alfreda Hodgson. Sir David Willcocks leads the forces of the world famous Bach choir. Booklet with libretto.
The most striking thing is its lightness of touch. Tempos are brisk and businesslike, the choral tone buoyant and the orchestral playing nimble and discreet...English language recitatives can sound embarrassingly banal, but Robert Tear, all in all an excellent Evangelist, overcomes any potential pitfalls by the fluency of his delivery - clarity of diction is immaculate and the recitatives surge along with an overriding sense of purpose.
ReviewsThere are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Reinecke: Symphony no 1, Violin Concerto, Romances
Vanhal: Flute Quartets / Uwe Grodd, Janaki Trio
Handel: Music for the Chapel Royal / Andrew Gant, et al
Cherubini: Symphony in D major, etc / Piero Bellugi, et al
Hummel: Sappho von Mitilene, etc / Shelley, et al
Taneyev: Symphonies no 1 & 3 / Polyansky, et al
Tchaikovsky, Medtner: First Piano Concertos / Sudbin, et al
Hanson: Merry Mount / Schwarz, Flanigan, MacNeil, et al
Rossini: Le comte Ory / Cohen, Rhys-Evans, Montanari, et al
Works DetailsBach, Johann Sebastian : Saint Matthew Passion, BWV 244
- Performers: Richard Adeney (Flute); John Bacon (Violin); William Bennett (Flute); Michael Dobson (Oboe d'amore); Richard Dobson (Flute); Roger Garland (Violin); Neil Jenkins; Felicity Lott; Stephen Roberts (Horn); Adam Skeaping (Bass Rebec); Charles Tunnell (Cello); Alexa Turpin (Flute); Lorraine Wood (Oboe d'amore)
- Conductor: David Willcocks
- Running Time: 138 min. 20 sec.
- Period Time: Baroque
- Written: 1736