1 800 222 6872

In memoria - Medieval Songs of Remembrance / Clerks' Group

Album Summary

>Chant, Gregorian : Requiem aeternam
>Sarto, Johannes de : Romanorum rex, motet
>Chant, Gregorian : Gloria
>Dufay, Guillaume : Ave Regina caelorum (i), antiphon for 3 voices
>Ockeghem, Johannes : Mort, tu as navre/Miserere, motet-chanson for 4 voices
>Chant, Gregorian : Credo
>Desprez, Josquin : Absolve quesumus/Requiem aeternam, motet for 6 parts
>Obrecht, Jacob : Mille quingentis/Requiem aeternam, motet for 4 voices
>Desprez, Josquin : Nymphes des bois/Requiem aeternam/Deploration de la Mort de Jehan Ockeghem, lament for 5 parts
>Desprez, Josquin : Pater noster -- Ave Maria, motet for 4 parts
>Rue, Pierre de la : Ceuers desolez, motet for 5 voices (doubtful)
>Desprez, Josquin : Que vous madame/In pace in idipsum, chanson for 3 parts
>Isaac, Heinrich : Quis dabit capiti meo acquam, motet for 4 voices
Composers

Notes & Reviews:

Renaissance music of death and commemoration, composed to mark the passing of the greatest composers of the day! During the Middle Ages it was considered of great benefit to the soul to have liturgical music sung at your funeral - so much so that those who could afford to left donations to the church in their will in order to ensure this happened, and ordered the provision of extra food and wine for the singers as an incentive! On In Memoria, The Clerks’ Group, renowned exponents of Renaissance vocal music, perform a unique program of music specifically written for performance at the funerals of great Renaissance composers. Included are the works Dufay and Josquin composed to mark their own deaths, and music written in honour of Binchois (by Ockeghem), Ockeghem (by Josquin) and Obrecht. Also included is the world premiere recording of an early 15th century Requiem Mass. Surprisingly, this music is not all gloomy as often its intention was to reflect the glory of the soul ascending to heaven and to celebrate the wonderful musical life of the departed.



Reviews

There are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Login or Create an Account to write a review
 

Also Purchased



Previous


Next


Works Details

>Chant, Gregorian : Requiem aeternam
  • Notes: Chapel of St. Catherine's College, Cambridge, England (09/02/2006-09/03/2006)
  • Running Time: 1 min. 59 sec.
  • Period Time: Medieval
  • Form: Choral

>Sarto, Johannes de : Romanorum rex, motet
  • Notes: Chapel of St. Catherine's College, Cambridge, England (09/02/2006-09/03/2006)
  • Running Time: 5 min. 6 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Form: Choral
  • Written: 1439

>Chant, Gregorian : Gloria
  • Notes: Chapel of St. Catherine's College, Cambridge, England (09/02/2006-09/03/2006)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 40 sec.
  • Period Time: Medieval

>Dufay, Guillaume : Ave Regina caelorum (i), antiphon for 3 voices
  • Notes: Chapel of St. Catherine's College, Cambridge, England (09/02/2006-09/03/2006)
  • Running Time: 7 min. 53 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Written: 1470-1474

>Ockeghem, Johannes : Mort, tu as navré/Miserere, motet-chanson for 4 voices
  • Running Time: 7 min. 59 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Form: Choral
  • Written: 1460

>Chant, Gregorian : Credo
  • Notes: Chapel of St. Catherine's College, Cambridge, England (09/02/2006-09/03/2006)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 46 sec.
  • Period Time: Medieval
  • Form: Choral

>Desprez, Josquin : Absolve quesumus/Requiem aeternam, motet for 6 parts
  • Notes: Chapel of St. Catherine's College, Cambridge, England (09/02/2006-09/03/2006)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 20 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Written: 1505

>Obrecht, Jacob : Mille quingentis/Requiem aeternam, motet for 4 voices
  • Running Time: 7 min. 52 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Form: Choral
  • Written: circa 1489

>Desprez, Josquin : Nymphes des bois/Requiem aeternam/Deploration de la Mort de Jehan Ockeghem, lament for 5 parts
  • Notes: Chapel of St. Catherine's College, Cambridge, England (09/02/2006-09/03/2006)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 49 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Form: Choral
  • Written: 1497

>Desprez, Josquin : Pater noster -- Ave Maria, motet for 4 parts
  • Notes: Chapel of St. Catherine's College, Cambridge, England (09/02/2006-09/03/2006)
  • Running Time: 6 min. 52 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Written: circa 1520

>Rue, Pierre de la : Ceuers desolez, motet for 5 voices (doubtful)
  • Notes: Chapel of St. Catherine's College, Cambridge, England (09/02/2006-09/03/2006)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 6 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Form: Choral
  • Written: 1508

>Desprez, Josquin : Que vous madame/In pace in idipsum, chanson for 3 parts
  • Running Time: 5 min. 13 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Written: 1504

>Isaac, Heinrich : Quis dabit capiti meo acquam, motet for 4 voices
  • Notes: Chapel of St. Catherine's College, Cambridge, England (09/02/2006-09/03/2006)
  • Running Time: 5 min. 40 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Form: Choral
  • Written: 1492

>Chant, Gregorian : Requiem aeternam
  • Notes: Chapel of St. Catherine's College, Cambridge, England (09/02/2006-09/03/2006)
  • Running Time: 1 min. 59 sec.
  • Period Time: Medieval
  • Form: Choral