1 800 222 6872

Byrd: Second Service & Consort Anthems / Ives, et al

Album Summary

>Byrd, William : Arise O Lord, why sleepest thou, anthem for 5 voices (SAATB)
>Byrd, William : O God that guides the cheerful sun, anthem for 6 voices (SS solo, AT (or A) B (or T) B) & 5 viols
>Byrd, William : Alack, when I look back, madrigal for 5 voices (SAATB)
>Byrd, William : In Nomine a 5, for instrumental consort no 2
>Byrd, William : Magnificat (from the Second Service), for 7 voices (SAAAATB)
>Byrd, William : Fantasy, for keyboard in D minor, MB 46
>Byrd, William : Nunc Dimittis (from the Second Service), motet for 6 voices (SAAATB)
>Byrd, William : In Nomine a 5, for instrumental consort no 4
>Byrd, William : Blessed is he that fears the Lord, sacred song for voice & viols
>Byrd, William : Though God that guid'st, anthem for 5 voices (SAATB) & organ
>Byrd, William : O Lord, make Thy servant Elizabeth, anthem for 6 voices (SAATTB)
>Byrd, William : Fantasia, for keyboard in A minor, MB 13
>Byrd, William : Lord, in thy wrath reprove me not, consort song for voice & 4 viols
>Byrd, William : Christe qui lux es no 1
>Byrd, William : Psalmes, Songs and Sonnets
>Byrd, William : Why do I use my paper, ink and pen?, consort song for voice & 4 viols
>Byrd, William : Prevent us, O Lord, anthem for 5 voices (SAATB)
Performers Conductor Ensembles Composer

Notes & Reviews:

In Magdalen College Choir's second collaboration with Fretwork, music director Bill Ives explores the rich Anglican repertoire of William Byrd. A Catholic able to deftly navigate the political and religious narrows of Reformation England, Byrd had a genius for composing music that enhances the natural flow of words, and he left behind not only a wealth of Latin-texted pieces but also works in English that for the heart of the Anglican musical tradition.

Daily Mail
This exquisite disc of music for choir, viols and organ does one of our great Tudor composers proud. The choir of Magdalen College, Oxford, has been doing some really wonderful work recently and it is its beautiful soft-grained sound that makes this CD so fascinating, taking us back to the all-too-few Magdalen recordings under the late Bernard Rose.

BBC Music Magazine
This disc is a benchmark - of interpretation, scholarship and programming. ... it is above all the conviction of the performance - its flawless ensemble, radiant boy trebles and sensitivity to implied rhetoric - that carries the argument. Rogers Covey-Crump's creamy colour imbues solo passages with a secular feel, as does the confidence of Stefan Roberts's delivery. Fretwork has rarely played more passionately or with greater refinement. Here is a recording whose ingenuity approaches that of the composer it celebrates.

bbc.co.uk - Andrew Mellor
There are two major soloists: on-loan from the Hilliard Ensemble is Rogers Covey-Crump, who sings with impeccable shape and diction, and Magdalen's own Stefan Roberts, who seems astoundingly musically aware for his age...Organ playing from Ryan Leonard is also stylish throughout.



Reviews

There are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Login or Create an Account to write a review
 

Also Purchased



Previous


Next


Works Details

>Byrd, William : Arise O Lord, why sleepest thou, anthem for 5 voices (SAATB)
  • Performer: Ryan Leonard (Organ)
  • Conductor: Bill Ives
  • Ensemble: Magdalen College Choir Oxford
  • Running Time: 3 min. 22 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Form: Choral

>Byrd, William : O God that guides the cheerful sun, anthem for 6 voices (SS solo, AT (or A) B (or T) B) & 5 viols
  • Performer: Stefan Roberts (Treble)
  • Conductor: Bill Ives
  • Ensemble: Magdalen College Choir Oxford
  • Running Time: 5 min. 43 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Form: Choral

>Byrd, William : Alack, when I look back, madrigal for 5 voices (SAATB)
  • Performer: Rogers Covey-Crump (Tenor)
  • Conductor: Bill Ives
  • Ensemble: Magdalen College Choir Oxford
  • Running Time: 5 min. 39 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Form: Choral

>Byrd, William : In Nomine a 5, for instrumental consort no 2
  • Conductor: Bill Ives
  • Ensemble: Magdalen College Choir Oxford
  • Running Time: 2 min. 34 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Byrd, William : Magnificat (from the Second Service), for 7 voices (SAAAATB)
  • Performer: Stefan Roberts (Treble)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 1 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Form: Choral

>Byrd, William : Fantasy, for keyboard in D minor, MB 46
  • Performer: Ryan Leonard (Organ)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 53 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Byrd, William : Nunc Dimittis (from the Second Service), motet for 6 voices (SAAATB)
  • Performer: Stefan Roberts (Treble)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 13 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Form: Choral

>Byrd, William : In Nomine a 5, for instrumental consort no 4
  • Running Time: 2 min. 52 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Byrd, William : Blessed is he that fears the Lord, sacred song for voice & viols
  • Performer: Rogers Covey-Crump (Tenor)
  • Running Time: 5 min. 17 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Form: Vocal

>Byrd, William : Though God that guid'st, anthem for 5 voices (SAATB) & organ
  • Performer: Stefan Roberts (Treble)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 49 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Form: Choral

>Byrd, William : O Lord, make Thy servant Elizabeth, anthem for 6 voices (SAATTB)
  • Performer: Ryan Leonard (Organ)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 53 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Form: Choral

>Byrd, William : Fantasia, for keyboard in A minor, MB 13
  • Performer: Ryan Leonard (Organ)
  • Running Time: 7 min. 17 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Byrd, William : Lord, in thy wrath reprove me not, consort song for voice & 4 viols
  • Performer: Rogers Covey-Crump (Tenor)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 39 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Byrd, William : Christe qui lux es no 1
  • Running Time: 2 min. 48 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Byrd, William : Psalmes, Songs and Sonnets
  • Performer: Stefan Roberts (Treble)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 7 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Written: 16th Century

>Byrd, William : Why do I use my paper, ink and pen?, consort song for voice & 4 viols
  • Performer: Rogers Covey-Crump (Tenor)
  • Running Time: 7 min. 13 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Byrd, William : Prevent us, O Lord, anthem for 5 voices (SAATB)
  • Performer: Ryan Leonard (Organ)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 34 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Form: Choral