- Tchaikovsky — Iolanta, Op. 69, TH 11: Introduction $0.99 on iTunes
- Tchaikovsky — Iolanta, Op. 69, TH 11: No. 2, Scene. Adagio con moto - Chorus. Allegro $0.99 on iTunes
- Tchaikovsky — Iolanta, Op. 69, TH 11: No. 3, Scene. Moderato mosso - Chorus. Moderato assai $0.99 on iTunes
- Tchaikovsky — Iolanta, Op. 69, TH 11: No. 7, Scene. Allegro non troppo - Duet for Iolanta and Vaudemont. Moderato assai
- Tchaikovsky — Iolanta, Op. 69, TH 11: No. 8, Scene. Allegro vivo - Allegro agitato
- Tchaikovsky — Iolanta, Op. 69, TH 11: No. 9, Finale. Allegro non troppo - Moderato assai
Notes & Reviews:
In Tchaikovsky's final opera, the king's blind daughter Iolanta gains her sight because she falls in love... although the whole thing is actually a bit more complicated... Tchaikovsky composed the music for Iolanta, Op. 69, to a libretto by brother Modest, during the second half of 1891. The Imperial Mariinsky Theatre in St. Petersburg commissioned two pieces using fairytale motives to be performed on the same evening - a one act opera and a ballet; the latter was to become his famous Nutcracker ballet. Dmitrij Kitajenko leads the Gürzenich Orchestra in this live Köln Opera production.
Gramophone Magazine, October 2015
As a young innocent, Golovneva's Iolanta is preferable to the fuller, darker soprano of Netrebko... Vinogradov's soft-grained bass is rock-solid and on magnificent form... Popov is in mellifluous, heady voice as VaudTmont... a top-drawer recording of an increasingly significant opera.
Recording information: Philharmonie Cologne (10/17/2014/10/19/2014).
ReviewsThere are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Górecki: Miserere; Gubaidulina: Alleluia / Kitajenko, et al
Mahler: Symphony No. 1 'Titan'; Blumine / Finnish Radio SO, Hannu Lintu
Kaija Saariaho (b.1952): 'Let the Wind Speak' - chamber works / Camilla Hoitenga, flute; Anssi Karttunen, cello; Héloise Dautry, harp; Daniel Belcher, baritone
Valentin Silvestrov (b. 1937): To Thee We Sing - Sacred Choral Works / Latvian Radio Choir; Sigvards Klava
Poulenc: Piano Concertos; Aubade; Sonata for Piano 4-hands; Elegie for 2 pianos; Louis Lortie & Helene Mercier, pianists
J.S. Bach: Organ Works - Toccata & Fugue in D minor et al. / Masaaki Suzuki, organ of Martinkerk, Groningen
Sigismond Thalberg (1812-1871): Opera Fantasies on themes by Rossini, Mozart, Donizetti, Bellini / Mark Viner, piano
Giovanni Sgambati (1841-1914): Piano Quintets; String Quartets / Roberto Plano, piano; Quartetto Noferini
J.S. Bach: Lutheran Masses, Vol. 1 / Bach Collegium Japan; Masaaki Suzuki
Works DetailsTchaikovsky, Peter Ilyich : Iolanta, Op. 69
- Conductor: Dmitri Kitayenko
- Ensemble: Cologne Opera Orchestra
- Notes: Philharmonie Cologne (10/17/2014/10/19/2014)
- Running Time: 2 min. 52 sec.
- Period Time: Romantic
- Form: Opera/Operetta
- Written: 1891
- Studio/Live: Live